I have been searching for a fix for the wifi problems in my HP Pavillion ab-028tx. It’s having a Realtek rtl8723be Wifi Card. For a long time, there was no perfect driver for this device. I tried many drivers and none of them fixed the disconnection and low wifi range problems. At last, I found a fix from ubuntu forums. Follow these steps to get your wifi working in Ubuntu.
- Get into your BIOS(in my case I had to press f10 after turning on my laptop). Then go into System Configuration->Boot options and Disable secure boot. This is very important as third party drivers won’t work in secure boot mode as they are not verified.
- Save and restart(f10), open up a terminal (ctrl + alt + t) and type the following commands in order.
- Installing new driver for the Realtek wifi chip.
Note: Its suggested to have latest kernel installed(Linux kernel 4+).
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install rtlwifi-new-dkms linux-firmware
- Restart ubuntu.
$ sudo reboot
$ sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek
Common steps for all three OSes.
- If you are not able to see your wifi networks, follow the steps below :
- Download the driver by clicking “Download ZIP” from GitHub.
- extract it to your home directory and open a terminal.
- Execute the following commands :
Ubuntu and Debian
$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) gcc g++ build-essential dkms git $ sudo reboot $ cd rtlwifi_new-rock.new_btcoex $ make $ sudo make install $ sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
$ sudo dnf install kernel-devel kernel-headers $ cd rtlwifi_new-rock.new_btcoex $ make $ sudo make install $ sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
- If you are unable to get wifi even now, change the antenna input to #2 using the command:
$ sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2
- note : try changing ant-set=1 or 0 if it doesn’t work for u.
- Now your Wifi will be working perfectly as in windows, now set input #2 as permanent.
$ echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2
fwlps=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf
And reload the module.
$ sudo modprobe -r rtl8723be
$ sudo modprobe rtl8723be
Now your WiFi should be working perfectly :).